PilieroMazza’s Private Equity & Venture Capital lawyers have extensive experience structuring and negotiating private equity and venture capital transactions, both on the company side and on the private investment fund side. Our 360-degree knowledge of the pressure points in private investments and acquisitions enables us to provide practical and strategic guidance to clients when crafting and negotiating complex deal structures. We work with general partners and fund managers through all phases of a fund’s life cycle, from organizational structuring and investment negotiations, through platform acquisitions, portfolio management, and ultimate liquidation and exit.
The Firm’s Private Equity & Venture Capital team works closely with private investment funds on structuring considerations. We are experienced in balancing desired tax-efficient outcomes with securities laws compliance and structuring concerns unique to highly regulated industries, such as the federal procurement industry. While our Private Equity & Venture Capital team practices across all industries, we have particular depth in the government contracting industry. We work in tandem with our Government Contracts lawyers to identify the risks, concerns, and pitfalls common in transactions involving companies that do business with federal and state agencies. As new portfolio companies are added to a platform, our deep benches in general business and corporate law and government contracting regulatory law enable us to offer efficient and practical ongoing portfolio company representation.
PilieroMazza works with small business investment companies (SBICs) on matters relating to certification, compliance, and transaction structuring. Our lawyers also frequently advise companies receiving SBIC investments on regulatory requirements associated with such transactions.
Representative Private Equity & Venture Capital transactions include:
- Represented a Maryland based venture capital fund in fund formation; drafting offering materials, and structuring for strategic investments in small businesses.
- Represented Zentech Manufacturing, Inc. in a venture capital portfolio exit transaction structured as a leveraged buy-out by BlackBern Partners.
- Represented Intrepid Solutions and Services, LLC, a Virginia-based services and technology contractor to U.S. intelligence customers in a leveraged buy-out acquisition by Bluestone Investment Partners.
- Represented a Maryland-based healthcare IT contractor in a senior convertible note venture capital investment round led by a Minnesota-based venture capital fund.
- Represented a Virginia-based dialysis care and population health company in Series A and B venture capital financing rounds, as well as multiple convertible note bridge financing rounds.
- Represented a leading IT and software company in connection with a preferred equity investment by an SBIC venture capital fund, including advising on issues relating to SBIC qualifications and compliance.