Presented by Jon Williams and Jackie Unger
Click here to view the recorded session.
Session Description: As part of his goal to “make America great again,” the President has routinely stated his intent to “buy American and hire American.” In an effort to make progress on this front, President Trump signed Executive Order 13788 on April 18, 2017, aimed at tougher enforcement of the “Buy American Laws” which are those laws requiring or providing a preference for the purchase of goods, products, or materials produced in the United States. Given the Trump administration’s intent for stricter enforcement of domestic preference requirements, government contractors need to stay abreast of the relevant laws and regulations, such as the Buy American Act (“BAA”) and the Trade Agreement Act (“TAA”).
Topics discussed included:
- The general requirements of the BAA and TAA
- The applicability of the requirements and exceptions to their applicability
- Tests for determining a product’s country of origin
- Relevant FAR clauses and certifications
- The potential penalties for non-compliance
- Practical tips and strategies for compliance