Todd dedicates his practice to helping clients achieve the best and most efficient solutions to complicated business problems. His focus includes commercial litigation, representing businesses and individuals in matters related to corporate control and governance, director and officer liability, business acquisitions and breakups, derivative actions, commercial contracts, employment disputes, business torts, unfair competition, trade secrets, and securities.
Regularly advocating for clients in state and federal trial and appellate courts, administrative hearings, arbitrations, and mediations, Todd has tried both jury and bench trials to verdict and authored and argued numerous dispositive motions and appeals. He also assists clients with emergency injunctions, conducts internal investigations, and provides strategic counsel on risk management and litigation avoidance.
Clients in Todd’s practice include private equity sponsors and business development companies, financial institutions, manufacturers, healthcare institutions, and various other business interests. Additionally, he has substantial experience representing real estate developers and investors, commercial landlords, and property managers.
Related Practice Areas
- Obtained judgment in favor of managing member and co-owner of multimillion-dollar real estate enterprise in dissolution and breach of fiduciary duty litigation following 15-day trial. Judgment affirmed on appeal.
- Obtained summary judgment on expedited basis in favor of a real estate investment trust (REIT) in stockholder dispute concerning conversion terms of preferred stock.
- Obtained multiple judgments in favor of local government in related actions brought by water utility in state and federal courts, and following 20-day evidentiary hearing before administrative panel, concerning the right to access and supply water in high-growth areas of southern Maryland. All judgments affirmed on appeal.
- Obtained dismissal for cybersecurity company in securities matter following company’s initial public offering.
- Obtained dismissal for hospital in qui tam action alleging violations of Stark Law and Anti-Kickback Statute.
- Obtained summary judgment in favor of Fortune 200 truck manufacturer in franchise dispute.
- Obtained summary judgment in favor of Fortune 300 healthcare company in commercial litigation concerning alleged anti-competitive conduct. Judgment affirmed on appeal.
- Obtained multiple favorable judgments, following trial or dispositive motions, on behalf of national, regional, and local real estate developers in commercial lease matters.
- Obtained summary judgment on behalf of top-tier railcar leasing company in breach of contract action.
- Obtained dismissal of healthcare provider in action alleging violations of False Claims Act.
- Represented hospital in action brought by physician group seeking preliminary and permanent injunctions and other relief for alleged breach of contract and anti-competitive conduct relating to medical staff credentialing decisions.
- Represented corporations, private equity sponsors, and business development companies in stockholder actions challenging multimillion- and multibillion-dollar transactions.
- Represented major, regional financial institution in action against estate and trust to recover $52 million in debt.
- Represented equipment manufacturer in litigation against vendor for the faulty design and manufacture of critical component parts used in power plant cooling towers.
- Represented individuals and businesses in civil asset forfeiture actions.
- Represented individuals and businesses in matters before the Maryland Tax Court and on appeal.
- University of Maryland Francis King Carey School of Law, J.D., 2002, With Honors, Order of Barristers
- Loyola University Maryland, B.A., 1998, Magna Cum Laude
- U.S. Supreme Court
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Second Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Fourth Circuit
- U.S. District Court, District of Columbia
- U.S. District Court, District of Maryland
Not admitted to practice law in D.C. Attorney is practicing under the supervision of an attorney or attorneys licensed to practice law in D.C.
- Member, Board of Directors, St. Vincent de Paul of Baltimore
- Member, Maryland State Bar Association
- Member, Federal Bar Association
- Member, Bar Association of Baltimore City
- Member, The Rule Day Club
- Former Member, Advisory Board of Directors, Archdiocese of Baltimore’s Partners in Excellence scholarship program
- Rising Star, Maryland Super Lawyers®, Business Litigation and General Litigation
- Articles Editor, Maryland Law Review
- University of Maryland Francis King Carey School of Law’s National Trial Team
- Lewis F. Powell Jr. Medal for Excellence in Trial Advocacy
- Alpha Sigma Nu, The National Honor Society of Jesuit Colleges and Universities
- Pi Sigma Alpha, The National Political Science Honor Society