Attorneys in PilieroMazza’s Government Contract Claims & Appeals Group recently assisted a client in the federal procurement sector to successfully negotiate a claim resulting from the impacts of COVID-19.
During the client’s contract with the government—and in the midst of the pandemic—there was a change to the contract directed by the agency to coincide with new guidelines tied to COVID-19 from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. For our client to effectively execute the changes, they had to incur additional costs related to acquiring personal protective equipment and alter how they would deliver their services from what was contemplated in the original contract. PilieroMazza attorneys Jon Williams, Lauren Brier, and Patrick Rothwell successfully argued that since the terms of the contract were adjusted by the government agency, at no fault of the client’s, the government was liable for paying the additional costs the contractor incurred to complete the contract.
As the pandemic persists and President Biden’s COVID-19 mandates around vaccination and mask-wearing present compliance concerns, PilieroMazza attorneys continue to field various pandemic-related questions from clients doing business with the government. We expect contractors will continue to face negative impacts from COVID-19 in the coming months and encourage government contractors to stay informed of their rights when the government changes contract terms that could impair their ability to perform and/or increase the time and cost to do so.
If you have concerns about the potential impact of COVID-19 on your government contract or about filing a claim or a Request for Equitable Adjustment, please visit this link to contact a member of PilieroMazza’s Government Contract Claims & Appeals team.
We also provide below links to related resources for your convenience.
PilieroMazza Resources on Claims and REAs
- Sovereign Acts Doctrine: New Government Defense Tactic Against COVID-Related Claims and REAs
- COVID-Related Construction Claims: 4 Key Strategies for Recovery
- Top Bases for REAs and Claims Arising Under COVID-19
PilieroMazza Resources on COVID-19 Mandates
- President Biden Issues Unprecedented COVID-19 Requirements for Private Employers and Government Contractors on National Scale
- What President Biden’s Vaccine Mandate Means for Government Contractors and Private Employers
- Return to Work: Employer-Mandated COVID Vaccination Policies and Accommodating Employee Disabilities and Religious Beliefs
- How Government Contractors Should Prepare for Biden’s Mask-Wearing Mandate