Peter advises government contractors and commercial businesses on a broad range of federal procurement matters. He is adept at navigating issues related to eligibility for, and continued participation in, small business programs such as SBA’s 8(a) BD, SDVOSB, WOSB, and HUBZone programs and the VA’s VetBiz VIP program. He represents clients in actions before OHA, GAO, and ODRA. He also counsels federal contractors on FAR and small business regulation compliance, which includes auditing clients for potential size and affiliation issues.
Peter’s practice encompasses the representation of tribes and ANCs, as well as their government contracting subsidiaries. He has assisted tribal entities with establishing the proper infrastructure to become robust government contractors, including establishing tribal holding companies to own Section 8(a), HUBZone, and other small businesses doing business with the federal government and assisting those businesses with their government contracting, subcontracting, and small business matters.
As Co-Chair of PilieroMazza’s Claims & Appeals Team, he helps prime and subcontractors prepare, file, and, if necessary, appeal REAs and claims to recoup time and / or money lost performing on a contract.
Peter heads the firm’s Boulder, Colorado office.
Related Practice Areas
Government contracting experience:
- Successful reconsideration requests in connection with VA VetBiz VIP program and SBA 8(a) BD program denials
- Successful appeals of erroneous determinations of affiliation to OHA
- Successful appeals of erroneous NAICS code designations to OHA
- Pursuit and defense of both size and status protests before the SBA and ODRA
- Corrective action in multiple cases before GAO
General corporate and business experience:
- Representing numerous clients in connection with the negotiation and preparation of operating agreements, bylaws, shareholders agreements, teaming agreements and joint venture agreements, including those involving 8(a), SDVOSB, and other small business government contracting companies
- Representing clients as buyers and sellers in company-related acquisitions, including due diligence and preparation of all sale and purchase documents and instruments
- Advising clients on corporate restructuring transactions, including preparation of merger documents
- Preparing and implementing employee incentive compensation plans, including stock appreciation rights
- Successfully defended our client’s small business size and EDWOSB statuses before the FAA’s Office of Dispute Resolution for Acquisition. See Protest of Pal Technologies, Inc., 15-ODRA-00720 (Mar. 12, 2015)
- Successfully defended our client’s small business size status before the SBA’s Office of Hearings and Appeals. See Size Appeal of MCH Corporation, SBA No. SIZ-5622 (2014)
- Overturned NAICS code designation resulting in a reclassification of contract into a smaller size standard. See NAICS Appeal of eScience & Technology Solutions, Inc., SBA No. NAICS-5586 (2014)
- Successfully appealed the SBA’s suspension of a tribally-owned firm from the 8(a) Program. See Federal Program Integrators, LLC, SBA No. BDPS-538 (2014)
- Successfully appealed the SBA’s suspension of a tribally-owned firm from the 8(a) Program. See Wichita Tribal Enterprises, LLC, SBA No. BDP-523 (2014)
- Successfully appealed a size determination concluding that the protested firm was an eligible small business for the procurement. See Crosstown Courier Service Incorporated, SBA No. SIZ-5571 (2014)
- Successfully appealed the SBA’s decision to deny a Native American-owned firm entry to the 8(a) Program. See Gearhart Construction Services, SBA No. BDPE-473 (2013)
- Overturned NAICS code designation resulting in a reclassification of contract into a larger size standard. See NAICS Appeal of Dial General Engineering, SBA No. NAICS-5375 (2012)
- Nova Southeastern University, Shepard Broad College of Law, J.D., 2008, magna cum laude, Articles Editor, Nova Law Review
- Washington and Lee University, B.S., 2005
- District of Columbia
District of Columbia Super Lawyers® Rising Star, Government Contracts, 2018-Present