With a renewed focus on fraud detection and prevention by the federal and state governments, and the strong financial incentives for whistleblowers to provide insider information to law enforcement and regulatory officials, the False Claims Act (also commonly referred to as the “FCA”) has become an increasingly formidable weapon used against government contractors at both the state and federal level. Critically, the federal government has initiated more False Claims Act matters over the last six years than at any point in its history.
PilieroMazza represents federal and state contractors in False Claims Act matters across all industries, including information technology (IT), construction, manufacturing, professional services, and healthcare, as well as matters related to small business set-aside program compliance, including the HUBZone, 8(a), WOSB, and SDVOSB programs. Depending on the nature of the case, our False Claims Act practice draws from the teams of experienced attorneys in our Government Contracts, Corporate, Labor and Employment, and Litigation practice groups. Working closely with our Audits and Investigations team as well, we provide trustworthy counsel at every stage of the case, from initial event identification and possible mandatory disclosure, through the entire investigation and litigation process, and finally to post-resolution compliance.
PilieroMazza offers a wide-range of services to government contractors related to the False Claims Act, including:
- False Claims Act risk management assessment, advice, and training
- Development of internal compliance programs and safeguards, including employee training, management and leadership restructuring, and corporate culture evaluations
- Internal company audits and investigations
- Advice, counsel, and representation on fraud mitigation and mandatory disclosure matters
- Coordination of crisis management before, during, and after a critical event
- Representation before the Department of Justice and agency Offices of Inspector General during investigations, interviews, mediation, alternative dispute resolution, and settlement negotiations
- Responding to civil and administrative subpoenas
- Representation related to civil investigative demands
- Representation in settlement negotiations
- Advice, counsel, and training on False Claims Act compliance
- Representation during suspension and debarment proceedings
- Defense of False Claims Act litigation, including qui tam actions
- Assembly and coordination of a comprehensive team of experienced professionals to handle all aspects of False Claims Act litigation, including criminal and grand jury matters